Monday, October 15, 2012

Six Simple Steps


Interning in a real estate office has been a new experience for me. I am learning about what the agents in my office do and how they do it. However, I found myself wondering, how did they become a real estate agent? Did they wake up one morning and say to themselves, “I think I will sell houses today.” I was clueless to the process of becoming an agent. I am almost positive you are too. I asked around and did a little research and narrowed it down to Six Simple Steps.


Step One: Get Educated!
You may need to take notes, so bring pens, pencils and a note pad! You must take pre-licensing courses, no matter what state you live in. In order to obtain your Sales License in New York, you need to complete the 75 hour salesperson licensing course. (Don’t worry, it goes by quick and can be done online) You do not need to have any previous sales experience to become a salesperson, nor are there any prior education requirements. However if you do, it will help you.
(Requirements and courses are different in each state; you need to make sure you are taking the correct one!)

Step Two: Select a Brokerage
What is a Brokerage? A real estate brokerage is the agency or office from which real estate agents and brokers work. Since working with a broker is a requirement in order to practice as a real estate agent, you will need to contact a broker before finishing your training course. Brokers have at least three years additional real estate training, and can guide you through questions you have when it comes to working in the field, as well as listing and selling homes. 
How does one choose a broker? You can go online to The National Association of Real Estate Brokers and find one near you. (www.nareb.com)

Step Three: Can I see your license?
Real estate licenses require the passing of a state exam. Also, you may have to provide a criminal background check. Between the exam and license fees for a real estate salesperson, you can expect to pay at least $200. This may be different depending on what state you live in. (Exam cost is $15.00 each time you take it. You can take it as many times as you need too! License fee is $50 for two years.)

Step Four: $AVE!
Becoming a real estate agent isn't cheap. Start up fees are estimated up to $2,000. ($570 for Long Island Board of Realtors; class is $325.00+ textbook is optional.) This money goes to licensing courses, business cards, signs and advertising, association fees, and the possibility of more exam fees. This is cheaper than one semester as a full time student at a community college. Think of it as an investment in your future. Since real estate is a commission-based business, you'll also need enough money set aside for you to get by for a few months. These are ballpark figures of actual costs because they can vary based on individual choices and state costs. Basically, $AVE!

Step Five: Join the NAR (not to be confused with the NRA)
In order to use the title, "realtor," you must join the National Association of Realtors (NAR). This is done by choosing an affiliated brokerage. Also, on Long Island you must join the Long Island Board of Realtors. (LIBOR) Each region has its own local board.
As a member of the National Association of Realtors® you have access to a wide array of benefits, business tools, real estate market data, educational opportunities, and discount programs designed to help you succeed in today's market. (For more information, go to http://www.realtor.org/member-benefits/value-of-membership)

Step Six:  Networking
The best way to build your portfolio is to get a mentor, and use your personal network. Barbara Kennon, the vice president of the National Association of Realtors says, “The best arrangement for a new agent is to find a mentor in the real estate agency you choose who guides you towards buyer/seller contacts and splits commission. You'll learn the profession from your mentor, while gaining your first commission checks.” Also, asking your friends and family for referrals of people who are considering buying or selling a home is a great way to begin networking. Someone is always looking for a new home, and that referral may get you started in your new business.


To me, becoming a real estate agent is similar to starting a small business. Even though you'll work within a brokerage of established realtors or real estate agents, you need a start up fund for business expenses and to cover several months of personal expenses while you build your client base. The average agent takes two years to show a profit, but it is well worth the wait. Take every step seriously, and you'll have your first "sold" sign up in no time.



30 comments:

  1. The six simple step to become a real estate agent has been given in the post here. Know all about it
    RES
    real estate course

    ReplyDelete
  2. A model for sustainability efforts in commercial real estate, the Orrick Building has a truly innovative approach to integrating tenant involvement into the pursuit of greater efficiency and resource conservation. renew real estate license

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. Louisiana Foreclosures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me please? A10 Capital

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained Lender

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me. Denver Realtors

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing... Sell Your House Fast in Miami

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to hear from you and see what you've been up to. In your blog I feel your enthusiasm for life. thank you.
    Website Design Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haga clic en el enlace para asistir al sitio de Element Fat reducción Dr Charles oficial para comprar y descargar Peso reducción Factor PDF eBook y el sistema de reducción de peso completo.

    Libro Factor Quema Grasa Pdf Gratis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm… I read blogs on a similar topic, but i never visited your blog. I added it to favorites and i’ll be your constant reader. Mortgage Loan Center Rates

    ReplyDelete
  11. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Katy O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peso programa de pérdida de elementos opiniones - Leer opinión real del sistema por el Dr. Charles Livingston y obtener sus respuestas sólo para esto.

    Como Eliminar La Celulitis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Tinley park real estate

    ReplyDelete
  14. A piece of land, including the air above it and the ground below it, and any buildings or structures on it. Real estate can include business and/or residential properties, and are generally sold either by a relator or directly by the individual who owns the property (for sale by owner). In most situations in the United States, real estate is a legal designation, and is subject to legislation.also called realty. Joliet realtors

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great, This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn. I’m an enormous fan from the subjects mentioned.
    Milan Rubenstein

    ReplyDelete
  16. Extraordinary bit of work, I was hunt about this article and discovered your site by google, took in a ton, now i'm a bit clear. I've bookmark your site furthermore include rss. bath and shower products | beverages products | biscuit and wafers products

    ReplyDelete
  17. This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn marriage halls in karachi | banquet in karachi | Karachi Wedding Halls

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?cold sore stages I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    ReplyDelete

  19. This should and could be the best posting for sure on the other side of the mattress and the toppers but the seeing for sure sale on site you can come check it out. For sure this is so Great. Toppers What was the topic and how we got on matress sale. Good post my friend. This is good for sure and now we could see the only mattress are here. The only thing for sure is to see that we can now do the memory foam toppers.

    ReplyDelete

  20. This should and could be the best posting for sure on the other side of the mattress and the toppers but the seeing for sure sale on site you can come check it out. For sure this is so Great. Toppers What was the topic and how we got on matress sale. Good post my friend. This is good for sure and now we could see the only mattress are here. The only thing for sure is to see that we can now do the memory foam toppers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    Puyallup Real estate

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really a very nice and helpful post thanks for posting this.Its certainly very informative to read.
    Web Designing Company Bangalore | Web Development Company Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site.
    too soft mattress

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks a lot with regards to Amazing and in addition Valuable Submit. This article can be quite comprises of much bigger facts with regards to This particular Make any difference.free send sms

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. תמ"א 38 קרית אונו

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! HOA Services

    ReplyDelete
  27. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    daintree residences

    ReplyDelete